A Prospective Study of Wastes from Design Stage Activities on Building Construction Projects in Southwest Nigeria

  • Samuel Osayamen Tongo Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ibogun Campus, Ogun State, Nigeria
  • A. A. Dipeolu Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ibogun Campus, Ogun State, Nigeria
  • C. Alaka Olabisi Onabanjo University, Ibogun Campus, Ogun State, Nigeria
  • J. O. Obaleye Caleb University, Imota, Lagos State, Nigeria

Abstract

This study examines the factors that contribute to the generation of wastes from design stage activities in building construction projects in the southwest region of Nigeria. A total of 261 questionnaires were randomly administered to representatives of firms in the built environment professions across the six (6) states that make up the region. The data generated were analysed using excel-solver and SPSS, and the findings were presented using tables. The study found that 86.97% of the respondents were experienced professionals with cognate experience who are employed by professionally registered consulting firms while the remaining 13.03% of the respondents were jointly employed by contracting firms, and some client agencies operating in the study area.  The result of findings further showed that 70.345% of the main issues related to waste generation from design stage of building projects were due to ambiguities and inconsistencies in drawings; inexperienced designers; lack of clear design information at conception; design and construction detail errors; design errors; unclear and incoherent specifications; poor communication between the various specialists and lack of full design team coordination. Besides this, the result also showed that the 43.862% of the residents listed inadequate coordination due to the high loadings by the following items: incomplete contract documentation; last-minute client requirement; error in contract documentation; slow response to a request for information; slow drawing revision and distribution; lack of partnering commitment and coordination among consultants; variation/change order request. This study therefore recommends that policy thrust should be aimed at encouraging built environment professionals to take actions towards reducing wastages in project at the design stages of building construction processes and activities in the study area.


Keywords: Building Construction, Construction, Southwest States, Waste Management, Prospective

Published
2021-07-27
How to Cite
TONGO, Samuel Osayamen et al. A Prospective Study of Wastes from Design Stage Activities on Building Construction Projects in Southwest Nigeria. KIU Journal of Social Sciences, [S.l.], v. 7, n. 2, p. 265-273, july 2021. ISSN 2519-0474. Available at: <https://ijhumas.com/ojs/index.php/kiujoss/article/view/1276>. Date accessed: 21 sep. 2021.